Changes in Version 3.2
Version 3.2 is an update to the third edition of A Guide to the Management of Tailings Facilities (the Tailings Guide). Updates were undertaken following the 2020 release of the Global Industry Standard on Tailings Management (the Standard) to improve alignment between the tailings management component of MAC’s Towards Sustainable Mining® (TSM®) program and the Standard.
The most significant changes are:
- Expanding on aspects to be considered in developing a corporate policy and/or commitment.
- Increasing the level of detail of descriptions of the roles and responsibilities of the Accountable Executive Officer and Responsible Person.
- Expanding on aspects to be addressed in a management review for continual improvement.
- Adding new text and a supporting appendix on information requirements related to:
- Site characterization
- Design information
- Documentation on construction and as-built conditions
- Closure plan
- Replacing the checklist tool with the Table of Conformance as a tool for gap analysis