Often regarded as the next frontier for mining growth, Canada’s North has promising mineral potential and opportunities for economic development. From diamonds to gold to base metals and iron ore, mining companies work closely with local communities and government to spur responsible mining growth that will benefit present and future generations in the Canada’s North.
Supporting such activities directly aligns with the four pillars of the federal government’s Canadian Northern Strategy: arctic sovereignty, environmental heritage protection, promotion of social and economic development, and northern governance.
To support responsible mining growth in the North, MAC advocates for:
- Efficient and robust regulatory regimes
- Strong participation and inclusion of Aboriginal and Inuit peoples
- An efficient and effective infrastructure network
- Skills and employment training
- Innovation and R&D, including geosciences