Protecting the health and safety of employees, contractors and communities is a fundamental component of TSM and deeply engrained in the Canadian mining industry’s culture.
The Safe, Healthy, and Respectful Workplaces Protocol includes five indicators that concern occupational safety and health management at the facility-level.
In June 2023, MAC members adopted a revised version of the TSM Safety and Health Protocol (2020), now titled the TSM Safe, Healthy, and Respectful Workplaces Protocol. Most significantly, the revised protocol includes a new performance indicator focused on psychological safety and respectful behaviour. This indicator aims to confirm that facilities are implementing processes and programs that will promote psychological safety and respectful behaviour in the workplace.
Elsewhere in the protocol, MAC introduced minor revisions to begin shifting the industry’s conception of safety and health management systems to include not only physical risks and hazards, but also important concepts like psychological safety and health, respectful workplaces, and psychosocial hazards.
With these revisions, the TSM Safe, Healthy, and Respectful Workplaces Protocol will support mine sites to implement:
- Clear accountability for safety, health, and respectful workplace management and performance.
- Effective safety and health controls to prevent the occurrence of incidents.
- Processes and programs to promote psychological safety and respectful behaviour in the workplace.
- Processes to effectively train employees and contractors on safe, healthy, and respectful workplaces.
- Regular monitoring and reporting on safety and health performance, both internally and externally.
- Continual improvement targets for physical safety and health, including an assessment of performance relative to those targets.
MAC member facilities will continue reporting publicly using the TSM Safety and Health Protocol (2020) through 2025. Facilities will report confidentially on the revised protocol in 2024 and 2025, followed by the first year of public reporting in 2026.
TSM Safe, Healthy, and Respectful Workplaces Protocol (2023 version for first reporting in 2026)
TSM Safety and Health Protocol (2020 version for first reporting in 2022)
Abridged Checklist for Facilities with ISO 45001 Certification (2020 version for first reporting in 2022)
Abridged Checklist for Facilities with OHSAS 18001 Certification (2016 version for final reporting in 2021)