The Community of Interest Advisory Panel (COI Panel) is an independent multi-stakeholder group that monitors the Mining Association of Canada’s (MAC) Towards Sustainable Mining (TSM) initiative’s progress and serves as an external source of knowledge and experience. This executive summary provides a brief account of the meeting held in Toronto on the evening of March 7th and the full day on March 8th, 2017.
The objectives of the March meeting were to:
- Share and get feedback on the proposed issues tracking and materiality process
- Hear the perspectives of the Panel on issues that are important to their COI and relevant to the industry
- Review four existing standards related to water stewardship and provide feedback to MAC to help inform the development of a TSM Water Protocol
- Provide an update to the Panel on interim Panel and MAC business, including updates on the Panel’s Working Groups, Task Forces and October meeting details, and MAC’s TSM work, including tailings and climate change
- Select which companies/company will undergo post-verification review for 2017