The Community of Interest Advisory Panel (COI Panel) is an independent multi-interest group that monitors the Mining Association of Canada’s (MAC) Towards Sustainable Mining (TSM) initiative’s progress and serves as an external source of knowledge and experience. This executive summary provides a brief account of the meeting held in Toronto on the evening of March 5th and the full day on March 6th, 2019.
During a Tuesday evening roundtable, Panel members shared issues of importance to the COI they represent that are relevant to the mining industry, including:
- Indigenous recognition, reconciliation and consent
- Indigenous and community engagement
- Long-term environmental sustainability
- Socio-economic benefits
- Public trust and discourse
- Local business development