The Community of Interest Advisory Panel (COI Panel) is an independent multi-stakeholder group that monitors the Mining Association of Canada’s (MAC) Towards Sustainable Mining (TSM) initiative’s progress and serves as an external source of knowledge and experience. This executive summary provides a brief account of the meeting held in Toronto on the evening of March 6th and the full day on March 7th, 2018.
The objectives of the March meeting were to:
- Hear the perspectives of the Panel on issues that are important to their COI and relevant to the industry.
- Improve our understanding of the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (UNDRIP), Free, Prior and Informed Consent (FPIC) and the Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s (TRC) Call to Action #92.
- Provide input on the review of the TSM Aboriginal and Community Outreach Protocol.
- Present and receive feedback on the draft Water Protocol.
- Provide an update to the Panel on interim Panel and MAC business, including updates on MAC’s response to the Panel Statement on Climate Change and Panel Renewal.
- Select which companies/company will undergo post-verification review for 2018.